St Saviour’s priory, Bridge Street, is home to a small community of Dominicans who are engaged in the liturgical and sacramental life of their priory church. The church and priory are located in Waterford’s city centre, in the heart of a rejuvenated residential area.
Waterford was the first settlement in Munster for the Dominicans (1226). They were the first friars of any Order to reach the city. For all the hurry with which they came to Waterford, it took nine years for them to find a home. Eventually, at the request of the citizens, Henry III permitted them in 1235 to build a priory “on a vacant site under the city walls, where there was anciently a small tower.” The ruins of this mediaeval church still stand near a narrow street now called Blackfriars.
There will be a memorial Mass for Fr. Ray Collins O.P. in St Saviours, Bridge Street on Sunday 18 th September, 2016 at 11 o’clock. The principal celebrant will be Bishop Alphonsus Cullinan.
Our church on Bridge Street is very beautiful. On entering, over the central doorway are three icons: Our Lord seated in glory, Our Lady and John the Baptist. These were commissioned by our late Prior Fr. Jim Harris O.P. and painted by Romanian artist and iconographer Mihai Cucu. The central aisle is flanked by twelve [...]
The Dominican Order was founded in 1216, eight hundred years ago, to combat heresy which was rife in Europe at the time. St. Dominic gathered a small group of men around him to pray, to study and to preach the Gospel to the people. At that time this was most unusual as only Bishops were [...]
There is now a new shrine to Saint Padre Pio in the church. It is to be found in Our Lady’s aisle.
Our Lady of Waterford This beautiful little statue can be found in St Saviours church on Bridge Street in Waterford. It is located on the right hand side ( as you enter ) just outside the altar rails. The title Our Lady of Waterford is appropriate as the statue has helped generations of Waterford people [...]
Tel: (051) 87 50 61